The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council and serves as legal counsel to all municipal officials and departments in the course of their city business, drafting ordinances, and regulations, reviewing contracts and providing other legal advice. Curtis Hayes is the current City Attorney.
Can the City Attorney give legal advice or represent private citizens?
The Gallup City Attorney’s office cannot provide legal advice to or represent private citizens or residents. The City Attorney is the lawyer for the city government. Citizens requiring private legal advice need to consult a private attorney.
Where can I get help for other legal matters?
- McKinley County
- Criminal Prosecution
- Legal Advice and Representation for private or personal legal matters
- Free or Affordable Legal Services in Civil Cases
- Disability Rights New Mexico: (800) 432-4682
- Native American Disability Law Center: (505) 863-7455
- Lawyer Referral for the Elderly Helpline: (800) 876-6657
- Legal Assistance to Military Personnel: (800) 876-6227
- Battered Family Services: (505) 722-7483